You may have enjoyed our last blog post ‘Jenny’s Story’, which shared the story of a woman we met recently and her horror building experience.
Unfortunately this is not uncommon in Canberra (or the building industry in general), and we urge Canberrans who are planning to build a new home or start a knock down rebuild to investigate their options when it comes to choosing a builder.
Ideally, you want a company that is established (been around for more than 5 years), has lots of glowing testimonials from clients, takes the time to answer questions, and does not rush you into signing anything before you are ready.
This is not to say that new entrants to the building industry cannot be trusted. It’s just that established builders have been around the (literal) block more than a few times, and have already learned from mistakes and implemented systems to help them provide the best possible service.
After 20+ years in the industry, we have a few tricks up our sleeve for creating the ultimate building experience. We have invested heavily in systems that support our work, such as how we handle communications with clients and keep them updated on the progress of their build.
One of Jenny’s biggest complaints was that she and her husband never knew what was coming next. They were afraid to ask questions and had no idea where their money was going during the build.
We’ve heard similar stories from many people like Jenny over the years – with most stating a lack of communication between parties as the single biggest disappointment and cause of conflict during the building process.
We do not have this problem with clients, and are regularly commended for our excellent communication. Today, we’re going to share with you one of the tools we use to ensure this is the case with each and every build.
Co-Construct is an online project management portal for builders that we invested in years ago. It is an enormously effective system that helps us communicate effectively and transparently.
Here are some of the benefits our clients receive from our use of Co-Construct:
- All information about the build is in one place. They never need to search for documents, contracts, emails, schedules or inclusions lists.
- It sends updates to emails, so they don’t have to log in unless they want to or something requires their attention.
- Co-Construct is accessible on any device (with an internet connection) – so they can check on progress wherever and whenever they like.
- Husbands and wives can access it equally, so we never have to worry about who or how to share information.
- It keeps us accountable with a Builder’s To Do List, and clients can see where we are up to at every stage of the build.
- It allows us to share photos, so clients can see the build take shape and save it for their own personal memories.
- It provides an exceptional system for communication, including questions and answers, grouped topics, colour-coded information, email trails, decisions, and more. No one ever has to deal with “he said, she said”.
- Clients can make decisions about selections or variations with the click of a button. These are all stored on a Selection Sheet, which also show choices that fell outside the budget.
- Upcoming selections are flagged, so no one gets confused about what needs to happen next.
- The system tracks every decision on an expenses page, so clients can see how their choices have impacted the price of their home.
- Approvals are all electronic, so there is no fussing with faxes or emails (or worse – complete lack of paperwork that results in conflict).
- The build has a schedule. There’s no guess work or broken promises.
- Even after the build, a Warranty List provides a section for the client to let us know if anything goes wrong and needs to be fixed.
We could go on and on, but these are just some of the ways that this impressive system ensures our clients receive the best possible building experience.
If you are planning to build this year, don’t get caught out like Jenny and many others. Look for an established builder with a proven track record who understands the value of transparency and efficient systems in helping you build the home of your dreams.
Insist on having access to systems such as Co-Construct (or Buildertrend), as they certainly make for a better building experience for all.
To find out how we can use Co-Construct to help with your home build, contact Danny or Robert for a friendly, obligation-free chat.
Call 62 47 4799 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.